Friday, December 24, 2010

In or out of Vogue ?

I still remember when I bought my first edition of Seventeen magazine- the Amisha Patel issue- glossy pages filled with color smacked pictures and interesting girly articles- the complete fill for a magazine crazed person like me.I remember how addicted I got to it.I used to wait for the new issue to be out at the start of every month and harass everyone to take me to that one shop in the market where I knew I'd get my copy for sure.

 Unfortunately for some stupid unknown (to me) reason, they stopped publishing seventeen and ever since then, I had been on the look out for a monthly to feed me.Thats when I came across Vogue.
I'd always known about Vogue, but honestly never felt the need to buy it..partly because it was weird (according to many around me) to spend (waste) that much money every month buying something like a fancy newspaper which will eventually collect dust.

My mom even pointed out that I could infact acquire the same information, see better pictures ONLINE..but no, I said..I wanted something I could hold. The happiness of flipping through the pages of a magazine can never be compared to the boring CLICK you put in while going through pages online. And how could you even think the two could be compared??... The internet is an OCEAN of information- one has to swim through it all to get what they want, facing the good and the bad and mostly, unfortuantely, you waste time sifting through rubbish. Magazines are so much better off in that way- they have specially hired trained professionals to go through that ocean, discard the crap and the pick out the awesomeness.


Anyway, point is, I came to Vogue. There were 2 options- the Rs 100 indian version or the Rs 300 International edition. For a while I could indulge in the International edition but then as the months flew, it kinda became obvious that I had to buy the local edition as most of the stuff shown in the International edition werent being sold in India and being the sensible spender that I am, I decided to switch to the cheaper version  :P 

When I first got my hands on it, I was in awe.... Seventeen now seemed childishly colorful in comparison to Vogue. Vogue was beautiful, breath takingly beautiful... pictures of lanky, gorgeous people all over, wearing clothes that looked tailor made for them, standing in the most perfect poses, pouting just enough to look right... every word on every line written to perfection- like Pulitzer worth articles... I was in Heaven!

Unfortuantely, this article is written not with the intention of making you wanna run to the store to grab your copy asap. Vogue, like most beautiful things on earth, is completely useless... atleast to normal people. I wonder who Vogue thinks they are writing for anyway coz i dont think there are many people around us who can just throw away Rs 2,50,000 on a Sergio Rossi clutch winter. The fact that its got the tag "winter" attached to it makes it more useless cause for half the entire year, one wont be able to use it ( keeping in mind the fact that if you bought it, you are fashion conscious.) And if you are in Goa, there isnt even a proper winter! :P

Half the entire magazine is spent on advertisements and that too, most of the things you see on them are all over priced anyway. And those 'Pulitzer written articles' are very few, hidden in the jungle of ads. Infact, other than the few words in the editorial, you flip through the numerous ad pages and you could very well feel like you are looking at just another compilation of catalogues.    -.-

To spend Rs 100 every month on catalogues of stuff which you will never buy according to season and trends is not normal... Im sorry Vogue, but if you wanna be a womans proper guide to the fashion world, Im sure you could put middle class range stuff in your pages. The fact that we dont roam naked clearly proves that we must be buying something affordable from someplace, right? Maybe you could help us out in that direction?

And so, I label Vogue uselessly useless as my monthly.. frankly, fashion isnt the only thing I wanna read about every month, that too 'blink- and- you- miss' fashion.

Come on Vogue, suprise us... not that we're waiting!     ;P


And a look at their site :P :P

No comments:

Post a Comment