Monday, May 2, 2011

Shit filled packages of Love



So what connection do Banana's have with roses?

Nothing actually :P its the Banana peels that we are interested in :) And thats why in March - along with my friends Siraj and Ayesha, i started my *POTASSIUM* filled compost project.

 Everyone knows how delicate roses are. They need plently of sunshine, water, weed uprooting and airing of the soil. Add to that a lot of love and you get beautiful roses. I recently found out that roses also love Potassium a lot and what has more thrown away potassium than anything else? Banana peels :D

so thats when the 3 of us started the whole, Banana a day habit. I would dispose off the banana peels in an unoccupied pot in the garden so that nature would work its magic on it. a month later with 93 banana's, i stopped adding to my little pile of dried banana peels (I did add a shovelful of rose fertilizer to provide good bacteria to the mix).

It didnt take me long to forget about the pot of composting peels - my entire april was full of exams. Now with holidays in May, i finally remembered it. to my surprise the peels were completely dried. I just added water to it, smashed it a bit and put it in a plastic bag to transport :P


The Potassium compost :D

The transportation part was the scariest :P It didn't stink AT ALL on the first day. Sadly, the 2nd day when i was supposed to travel to Panjim to put it for my roses there, i opened the bag and smelled what could only be described as the public toilets (*with a hint of the soil after rain smell :) ). I put it in 2 bags just in case. The entire bus journey i kept wondering if the people on the bus would notice that i had SHIT in my bag. Thankfully no-one did :P (*if they did they would probably throw me off the bus thinking i was some sort of weird stinky kid who didn't have a shower for weeks or worse still - that i shat (is that a word?) in my pants :| )

We reached Panjim in one piece and rushed home to mix the compost in the soil my roses were already growing in :) (*if they could speak Im sure they would have yelped in joy ^_^)

NOTE - since my hands were full of mud, i decided to give the task of clicking the gardening pics to my younger brother Benjamin. Sadly, in most of the photo's (which didn't turn out blurry -.-) all you can see is my hand and some mud -.- He sucks at following my expert (*yea right) opinion :P

anyway, this brings me to the point. If you have plants - treat them like kids. Take a little trouble to help them grow.Cause who wouldn't wanna wake up to a garden full of beautiful plants? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment